Then to Now...

Then to Now...
Baker's progress...

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Baker is Home!!!!

We finally made it home with Baker last night around 8:00 PM. We had to wait all day for his oxygen, and we got a taste of the logistical nightmare that it is to go anywhere with our little miracle. He has a mini oxygen tank, oximeter, and apnea monitor that we have to carry around. All of these devices have 1 or more probes sticking on Baker and when we move him we have to be able to reach all the devices in case of an alarm. When we got home last night we met the home oxygen delivery person, who had the humongous oxygen tank for Baker's home use. The tank is about as tall as I am and is now part of our dining room. He has tubing that will stretch to every room of our home.

It was such a joyous moment seeing our wonder boy at home, no nurses, doctors or other sick babies just Baker and Mom and Dad. We finally can close the first chapter of Baker and start the next.


Of course we didn't sleep much at all last night. Both his monitors false alarmed any time he moved. The oximeter sounds like an old alarm clock just louder and the apnea monitor lets out an ear piercing beep (like a smoke alarm). Once one of them goes off it's like a spiral effect – it scares Baker and makes him twitch and cry which sets off another alarm. He had no apneas or heart rate dips last night every single alarm we got was a false positive. We put a call in to the company that provided all the alarms to see if they have any ideas to stop the false positives, we have to at least be able to get a full hour of sleep in at a time right?


Here is to everyone that has followed his progress and prayed for his good will and has provided support for us and him. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts. The blog will continue so stay tuned…


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the best news ever!! I'm so happy for you and Teresa, and Mr. Baker!! Enjoy your time together, finally at home...we'll be patient...but we can't wait to see him! Don't forget we're here to help if you need us for anything!!
Love Summer

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home Baker!!! And welcome to a whole new chapter Mom & Dad. May there be peace enough for some good sleep tonight, for all. Even sleep-deprived, I'm sure you're feeling the magic a new baby brings to a home. Love, Aunt Jo

Annabanana said...

whoooooooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is just the best news ever, well, except for the false positive alarms! I just love seeing those pics of him with you guys! And in the car seat - wow! Wasn't that scary to drive with him the first time? I've got some great CDs I'm sending your way, let me know if there's anything else I can do (and CALL anytime, just to scream if you need to) LOVE Ann and the guys

Dirtie Birdie said...

Wow, I'm proud of you! Finally Pic's from HOME!
xoxo, Katie & Scotland

My Journey to Success said...

I am so glad Baker is home. I know from workign with Teresa all I heard about was hoping he would come home soon. Finally you have him there. Please keep the blog going. I love to read the updates and share them with the co-workers who do not have a chance.
Edna McDaniel
emcdaniel75@tampabay.rr.com

Barb Matijevich said...

I just can't believe it. You must so thrilled and scared and thrilled and scared. Blessings on you. Wow. What an amazing story so far. I can't wait to see what Baker will do next!

Blessings,
Barb

Anonymous said...

Hi there! You don't know me, but I had a micropreemie back in 2002. I know a friend of your Mom's, who has been keeping me posted about Baker. Anyhow, congrats about Baker coming home. I know that is an awesome feeling to have finally "graduated!" About the false alarms, is Baker using the leads that are stickers or a belt? When Lauren would use the one that was a sticker, she would get false alarms all the time. The belt was not 100% perfect, but definitely cut down on the number of alarms. Also, check with your pediatric pulmonologist regarding the nasal cannula tubing. We wanted to do the same thing with the tubing for Lauren, but we were told that the longer the tubing is the more it cuts down on the force of the O2. I realize that medical technology has changed in the past 5 years and that may not be an issue now, but it is just something that I wanted to mention. Again, congrats! Amy LaRosa