Then to Now...

Then to Now...
Baker's progress...

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Down then up.




This day was such a roller coaster… Baker got a cranial ultrasound yesterday and we have been waiting for the results with the hope that the initial Grade 3 IVH (Brain Bleed) would show signs of recession. Well we finally got an update from his regular doctor later this afternoon and he still showing signs of a Grade 3 in his Right Ventricle (Top Right of his brain), and a Grade 4 in his Left Ventricle. After we got that news the doctor had to go because she had a baby that she had to intake. This we thought was the worse news we've gotten on Baker to date. Of course we went looking up information on Grade 4 bleeds and none of it was good, this increases the risk for Baker to have long term developmental problems.




We went back to the NICU to visit with Baker this evening and ran into his doctor, she asked if we had any questions on the update and Teresa said yes we do. She asked all about the bleed and again his doctor was concerned but not very concerned. She said she talked to Neurosurgery and they said there is no reason for them to intervene – though it's a grade 4 bleed, he is having no swelling in fact the ventricles actually have gotten smaller since his first ultrasound which means they are doing what they are supposed to (I guess…)…




Teresa's last question to the doctor was if and when we can start holding Baker. For preemies they start off with a skin on skin or Kangaroo Care. The doctor said sure lets start tonight, just let me check with his primary nurse. His primary said it was o.k. So Teresa got to hold Baker for an hour this evening. He tolerated it excellently. Baker's mom for the first time in a long time looked absolutely content. If Baker is a good boy tomorrow then Dad get's to hold him next. Once again we are reminded that our boy is going to fight through this.




5 comments:

Annabanana said...

This is the BEST picture ever...I know that Mama loving touch is just what he needs. I bet he feels right at home there touching her heart so close. Our love is with you all, and prayers continue around the world. GO BAKER!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love the photo too and indeed Mom and Baker are in their own magical world. It is a privilege to share in that. Scott, I know you both are learning more clinical information than you imagined you would--ever. You have a gift for relating all that
along with the music from your hearts. Well done! Love and gratitude from Aunt Jo

Anonymous said...

I know that you have waited anxiously but patiently to hold your baby. It made me teary just to see the picture and know the joy you felt holding your baby for the first time. Thank you for sharing it with us.
All our love, Katie and Scotland

Knit My Grits said...

I am in tears. I found this blog from someone I happily assume is a friend of yours and mentioned the little guy with the big name on her blog as I read her comment on Yarn Harlot the other day. The tears I shed are tears of prayer. Tears don't always shed sadness. They can shed hope as well. Baker is a beautiful boy. He is meant for greatness and soon, you will be shocked by how big he's grown. I know that in my heart and feel confident in my hope and (dare I say) love for your little boy that he will aspire to greatness.

Love from Ottaw, Canada and my little family which includes my Miracle Baby.

Rhonda, John and Brendan Blais.

Anonymous said...

Scotty, T and baby B...
from the west coast crew... we love you all SO much. Hey there little strong man, your cousins are right here talking about you and making wishes and prayers for you everyday. What a cutie boy, we can't wait to come and play.
No wonder where this guy gets his strength and fight... mom and dad you are doing an amazing job... his strength and fight radiates from you two. Make sure to take care of yourselves too... we love you.
Johnny, Dara, Gray, Mason, Augie