Then to Now...

Then to Now...
Baker's progress...

Sunday, July 1, 2007

Tiny Hats, Big Boy

We got the Hats on Friday, and they are so cute. I had to work for a couple of hours on Saturday, so Baker's mom went to the hospital before me. When I finished with work, I grabbed the hats and went to the hospital. I got there just in time while Teresa and the nurse were doing their "hands on". As I explained earlier preemies are very susceptible to sensory overload, too much stimulation can cause the little guy to shut down – so the nurses limit the time that they have to touch him (change diaper, take temperature, move position, etc.)

Anyway the hats were too small. Now this is a really good thing, finally my son was TOO BIG for something!!!! This made Mom and Dad so happy. The little guy that is growing so fast is actually too Big for a piece of clothing. They probably would have fit his first week. We are also so thankful for Barb's work; the hats are going in his Baby Book and were beautiful. I'm going to take pictures today, and post later so check back later this evening.

Mom got some good quality time with Baker; we started up the kangaroo care again. Since the last failed attempt it was hard to get up the confidence to start it back up again. It is so very odd and cruel that I'm talking about holding our baby. Mom has now been able to hold him 3 times since he was born one month ago. We finally after talking to two nurses that have experience in other NICU's and are strong advocates for kangaroo care, mom got her confidence back. We are going to move forward with this and hold him as much as possible. This is good for both son and mom, her milk production about doubles when she holds him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday dear Baker! We're all cheering you on and send much love to the three of you. Aunt Jo

Barb Matijevich said...

I've never been so happy to have made something completely useless in my life! I am making some bigger hats --still filled with love and hope --for our big boy.

God. It's just. so. great.

Barb